Afeditab and Dry Mouth
In clinical studies, less than 1 percent of people taking Afeditab CR experienced a dry mouth. If this side effect does occur, there are a number of things you can try, such as sipping water or sugarless drinks often, avoiding tobacco or alcohol, and using a humidifier at night. If you are taking Afeditab CR and dry mouth continues to be a problem, your healthcare provider can suggest other treatment options.
Afeditab and Dry Mouth: An OverviewDry mouth is one of the possible side effects of Afeditab CR® (nifedipine). In studies, less than 1 percent of people taking Afeditab CR reported experiencing a dry mouth.
Afeditab and Dry Mouth: RecommendationsFor people taking Afeditab CR, there are some things that you can do to help with a dry mouth. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoiding drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Avoiding tobacco or alcohol because they dry out the mouth.
- Using a humidifier at night.
- Being aware of spicy or salty foods. These may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugarless, hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.