Your aliskiren dosage will be based on factors such as whether you are taking other medications and how well you respond to the drug. Generally, the recommended starting dose for treating high blood pressure is 150 mg taken once a day. If your blood pressure is not under control, your healthcare provider may increase your aliskiren dosage to 300 mg once daily.
Aliskiren Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of aliskiren hemifumarate (Tekturna®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to aliskiren
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Aliskiren Dosage for High Blood PressureThe recommended starting dose of aliskiren for treating high blood pressure is aliskiren 150 mg once daily. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose to aliskiren 300 mg once daily. Keep in mind that it can take two weeks or more before you see the full effects of aliskiren on lowering your blood pressure.
General Information on Dosing With AliskirenConsiderations for people taking aliskiren include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once daily.
You should take aliskiren consistently, either with or without food (fatty meals may decrease the absorption of the drug). Whether you take it with food or not does not matter, as long as you are consistent (in other words, either always take it with food or never take it with food).
- Make sure to take aliskiren at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Aliskiren will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your aliskiren dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.