Your healthcare provider will determine your dosage of azilsartan/chlorthalidone based on your blood pressure readings, other medications you are taking, and other medical conditions you have. This medication comes as a tablet that is taken once a day, preferably in the morning. The usual recommended starting dose is 40 mg/12.5 mg once daily.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of Azilsartan/ChlorthalidoneThe dose of azilsartan/chlorthalidone (Edarbyclor™) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your blood pressure
- How you respond to the medication
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Azilsartan/Chlorthalidone Dosing Guidelines for High Blood PressureAzilsartan/chlorthalidone is a combination of two blood pressure medications: azilsartan (Edarbi®) and chlorthalidone (Thalitone®). The usual recommended starting dosage for azilsartan/chlorthalidone is 40 mg/12.5 mg once daily. For people who were previously taking azilsartan or chlorthalidone as separate medications, the recommended azilsartan/chlorthalidone dose is still the same, regardless of your previous amounts of azilsartan or chlorthalidone.
Your healthcare provider may then increase your dose, up to azilsartan/chlorthalidone 40 mg/25 mg once daily, to control your blood pressure, after two to four weeks, if necessary. Higher doses are unlikely to provide additional benefit. In such situations, adding another blood pressure medication is usually recommended.
General Information on Taking Azilsartan/ChlorthalidoneSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with azilsartan/chlorthalidone include the following:
- Azilsartan/chlorthalidone comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once daily.
- This medication may increase urination. Therefore, you may want to take it in the morning to reduce the need to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.
- Try to take your doses at the same time each day to keep an even level of the medicine in your blood.
- You may take azilsartan/chlorthalidone with or without food.
- For this medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you have questions on your dosage or azilsartan/chlorthalidone dosing in general, talk to your healthcare provider or pharmacist.