For most people with high blood pressure, the starting dosage of azilsartan is typically 80 mg taken once daily. If your blood pressure is not adequately controlled with this amount, you may need additional blood pressure medications. However, if you are also taking diuretics or other blood pressure medications, you may need a lower amount of azilsartan.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of AzilsartanThe dose of azilsartan medoxomil (Edarbi™) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your blood pressure
- How you respond to the medication
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Azilsartan Dosing for High Blood PressureThe initial azilsartan dose for most people with high blood pressure is usually 80 mg once daily. A lower dosage (40 mg once daily) might be recommended if you will be taking azilsartan with high doses of diuretics ("water pills" used to treat water retention or high blood pressure), as the higher amount might decrease your blood pressure too much in this situation. Diuretics include:
- Amiloride (Midamor®) or amiloride-HCTZ (Moduretic®)
- Bumetanide (Bumex®)
- Chlorothiazide (Diuril®)
- Chlorthalidone (Thalitone®)
- Ethacrynic acid (Edecrin®)
- Furosemide (Lasix®)
- Hydrochlorothiazide (Esidrix®, HydroDIURIL®, Microzide®, Oretic®)
- Metolazone (Zaroxolyn®)
- Spironolactone (Aldactone®) or spironolactone-HCTZ (Aldactazide®)
- Torsemide (Demadex®)
- Triamterene (Dyrenium®) or triamterene/HCTZ (Dyazide®, Maxzide®).
If azilsartan 80 mg does not adequately control your blood pressure, your healthcare provider may recommend that you combine it with one or more other high blood pressure medications. The maximum recommended dosage of azilsartan is 80 mg once daily.