Important Instructions for Bisoprolol
Some general considerations to keep in mind when taking bisoprolol include the following:
- Bisoprolol comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take your dose with a meal or on an empty stomach.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Bisoprolol will not work if you stop taking it.
- In general, bisoprolol should not be stopped suddenly, as serious problems (including heart attacks) may result.
The dose of bisoprolol your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The severity of your high blood pressure
- How you respond to the medication
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you have.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Bisoprolol Dosage for more information.)
Bisoprolol can potentially interact with a number of other medications (see Drug Interactions With Bisoprolol).
An overdose is likely to cause dangerously low blood pressure (hypotension), a slow heart rate (bradycardia), and other serious problems. If you happen to take too much bisoprolol, seek prompt medical attention.
(Click Bisoprolol Overdose for more information.)