Serious and Rare Reactions to Cardizem LA
Some side effects with Cardizem LA, while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Chest pain
- Irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Signs of low blood pressure, such as dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting
- Depression (see Cardizem LA and Depression)
- High blood sugar (hyperglycemia)
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including unexplained rash, hives, itching, unexplained swelling, wheezing, or difficulty breathing or swallowing.
Rare Cardizem LA side effects can also occur. While the manufacturer of the drug did not report rare side effects for Cardizem LA specifically, rare side effects for other forms of the drug were reported. These rare side effects occur in less than 2 percent of people taking diltiazem (the active ingredient of Cardizem LA). However, it is difficult to tell whether these side effects are actually caused by diltiazem itself or other factors.
Some of these rare side effects include but are not limited to:
- Flushing (redness of the skin, especially the face)
- Abnormal dreams
- Memory loss (amnesia)
- Dry mouth (see Cardizem LA and Dry Mouth)
- Shakiness (tremor)
- Loss of appetite
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Taste changes
- Weight gain (see Cardizem LA Weight Gain)
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Impotence, also known as erectile dysfunction or ED (see Cardizem LA and Impotence).