Treatment Instructions for Catapres-TTS
Some general considerations include the following:
- Catapres-TTS comes as a skin patch that is applied every seven days.
- You should replace the patch at the same time and on the same day every single week.
- Apply the patch to a hairless area such as the upper, outer arm or the chest. The area should be clean, dry, and free of any irritation or scars. Do not shave the area before applying the patch. Do not apply a patch to the same area twice in a row.
- If the patch begins to separate from the skin, apply the white patch cover (which does not contain any medication) over the patch to help it stay in place. If the patch comes off or significantly loosens, you must apply a new patch altogether.
- You may swim, bathe, and shower while wearing the patch.
- Remove the old patch when you apply a new one. Fold it in half and dispose of it out of the reach of children and pets.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Catapres-TTS will not work if you stop taking it.
The dose that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The severity of your high blood pressure
- How you respond to the medication
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As always, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Catapres-TTS Dosage for more information.)