Precautions and Warnings With Clonidine
There are many precautions and warnings with clonidine to be aware of before starting the medication. For example, it is important to know that abruptly stopping clonidine may result in very serious problems such as strokes. Your healthcare provider will advise you about how to safely stop taking clonidine. Make sure to discuss other warnings and precautions with your healthcare provider.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking clonidine hydrochloride (Catapres®, Catapres-TTS®, Duraclon®, Kapvay™, Nexiclon® XR) if you:
- Have heart disease, especially chest pain (angina) or a recent heart attack
- Have an irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Have had a stroke or transient ischemic attach (TIA)
- Have an upcoming surgery
- Have kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- Have a bleeding disorder
- Are taking anticoagulant medications ("blood thinners")
- Have any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.