Understanding Dosing and Adverse Reactions to Dilt-XR
Some general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Dilt-XR include the following:
- Dilt-XR comes in capsule form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take this medication with or without food.
- Dilt-XR capsules are extended-release and should not be broken, chewed, or crushed. Be sure to swallow them whole.
- Dilt-XR should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For this medicine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
The dose of Dilt-XR your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Dilt-XR dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Diltiazem Dosage for more information.)
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Dilt-XR. However, not everyone who takes the medicine will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
Common side effects of Dilt-XR include but are not limited to:
- Irritated or runny nose
- Sore throat
- Flu-like symptoms (such as fever and chills)
- Swelling or water retention, especially in the hands, feet, or lower leg
- Muscle pain
- Back pain
(Click Diltiazem Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects you should report immediately to your healthcare provider.)