Isoptin SR Dosage
The recommended starting dose of Isoptin SR is 180 mg once a day in the morning. However, your healthcare provider may increase or decrease your Isoptin SR dosage based on how well you respond to the drug or if you develop bothersome side effects. Isoptin SR comes in tablet form and must be taken as prescribed for optimum results.
Isoptin SR Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of Isoptin SR® (verapamil hydrochloride) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Isoptin SR Dosage for High Blood PressureThe recommended starting dose of Isoptin SR for treating high blood pressure (hypertension) is Isoptin SR 180 mg, taken once daily in the morning. If necessary, your healthcare provider may increase your dose to better control your blood pressure. Up to 240 mg of Isoptin SR can be taken in a single dose once a day in the morning; higher doses should be split up and taken twice a day. The dosage can also be decreased if you experience bothersome Isoptin SR side effects.
The recommended starting dose for certain people (such as elderly people, smaller people, or those with liver or kidney problems) is lower: Isoptin SR 120 mg, taken once daily in the morning.
General Information on Dosing With Isoptin SRConsiderations for people taking Isoptin SR include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth, usually once or twice daily.
- Isoptin SR should be taken with food.
- Isoptin SR tablets contain extended-release beads that slowly release the medication over time. Be sure to swallow the tablets whole.
- Because Isoptin SR tablets are extended-release, they should not be chewed or crushed. However, they may be cut in half along the scored line.
- Isoptin SR should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Isoptin SR will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Isoptin SR dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.