In the case of lisinopril-hydrochlorothiazide, dosage recommendations generally call for starting with a daily dose of 10 mg/12.5 mg or 20 mg/12.5 mg. It's important to take your dose of lisinopril-hydrochlorothiazide at the same time each day. You should take your lisinopril-hydrochlorothiazide dosage with water.
The dose of lisinopril-hydrochlorothiazide (available as a generic or under the brand names Prinzide® or Zestoretic®) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking
- Your initial response to the medication.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended dosage of lisinopril-hydrochlorothiazide for people with high blood pressure (hypertension) typically begins at 10 mg/12.5 mg or 20 mg/12.5 mg once a day. Based on the initial blood pressure response and/or lisinopril-hydrochlorothiazide side effects, the dosage may be increased or decreased. With each change in dosage, it may take several weeks to see the full effects of lisinopril-hydrochlorothiazide on lowering blood pressure.
Some considerations for people taking lisinopril-hydrochlorothiazide include the following:
- Take your lisinopril-hydrochlorothiazide dosage by mouth with a glass of water.
- You may take the medication with or without food.
- Do not break, chew, or crush the lisinopril-hydrochlorothiazide tablets.
- Take lisinopril-hydrochlorothiazide at the same time each day to maintain even levels of medicine in the blood.
- For lisinopril-hydrochlorothiazide to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. The medication will not work if you take it in a way other than that prescribed by your healthcare provider.
- If you do not take your lisinopril-hydrochlorothiazide as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with normal dosing. Do not take a double dose.
- If you are unsure about anything related to lisinopril-hydrochlorothiazide or your dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the medication without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.