Dosing With Losartan-Hydrochlorothiazide
For adults with high blood pressure, the recommended dosing with losartan-hydrochlorothiazide will vary between losartan-hydrochlorothiazide 50 mg/12.5 mg and losartan-hydrochlorothiazide 100 mg/25 mg. The dosage will depend on other medical conditions you may have, other medications you may currently be taking, and how well you respond to losartan-hydrochlorothiazide. You should not change your dosage or stop taking the drug without first consulting a healthcare provider.
Losartan-Hydrochlorothiazide Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of losartan-hydrochlorothiazide (Hyzaar®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking
- How you respond to losartan-hydrochlorothiazide.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Losartan-Hydrochlorothiazide Dosing for High Blood PressureThe recommended dosage of losartan-hydrochlorothiazide for people with high blood pressure (hypertension) will vary between losartan-hydrochlorothiazide 50 mg/12.5 mg and losartan-hydrochlorothiazide 100 mg/25 mg once a day. Based on the initial blood pressure response and/or losartan-hydrochlorothiazide side effects, the dosage may be increased or decreased. With each change in dosage, it may take up to a month to see the full effects of losartan-hydrochlorothiazide on lowering blood pressure.
General Losartan-Hydrochlorothiazide Dosage InformationPeople taking losartan-hydrochlorothiazide should keep the following information in mind:
- Your losartan-hydrochlorothiazide dosage should be taken by mouth with a glass of water.
- Losartan-hydrochlorothiazide may be taken with or without food.
- Make sure to take losartan-hydrochlorothiazide at the same time each day to maintain even levels of the medicine in your blood.
- For losartan-hydrochlorothiazide to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Losartan-hydrochlorothiazide will not work if you take it in a different way than your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- If you do not take your losartan-hydrochlorothiazide as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with normal dosing. Do not take a double dose.
- If you are unsure about anything related to losartan-hydrochlorothiazide or your losartan-hydrochlorothiazide dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking losartan-hydrochlorothiazide without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.