Warnings and Precautions With Losartan-Hydrochlorothiazide
Some warnings and precautions with losartan-hydrochlorothiazide include being aware of certain drug interactions, avoiding the medication if you have severe kidney disease, and knowing that the drug can cause extremely low blood pressure in some people. There are a number of conditions where taking losartan-hydrochlorothiazide is not recommended, as well as several precautions people should be aware of while taking the medication. Before taking losartan-hydrochlorothiazide, be sure to talk to a healthcare provider about any precautions that may apply to you.
Losartan-Hydrochlorothiazide: What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?Prior to taking losartan-hydrochlorothiazide (Hyzaar®), you should tell your healthcare provider if you have:
- Heart disease, including congestive heart failure
- Liver disease, including cirrhosis
- Kidney disease or kidney failure
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus or SLE for short)
- High cholesterol
- Fluid or electrolyte problems
- Any allergies, including allergies to other angiotensin II receptor blockers, sulfa drugs, foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or trying to become pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Are on dialysis
- Will be undergoing surgery or anesthesia.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you are currently taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.