Hypertension Home > Azilsartan
Azilsartan is a medication prescribed to lower high blood pressure. By blocking certain chemicals in the body, the drug causes the blood vessels to relax. Azilsartan comes in the form of a tablet and is typically taken once a day. Although most people tolerate this medicine well, side effects may still occur. Diarrhea is the most commonly reported side effect.
What Is Azilsartan?Azilsartan medoxomil (Edarbi™) is a prescription medication used to treat high blood pressure (known medically as hypertension). It can be used alone or in combination with other blood pressure medicines.
Are There Side Effects?Just like any medicine, azilsartan can cause side effects. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well.
Important Information for Your Healthcare ProviderTalk with your healthcare provider prior to taking azilsartan if you have:
- Heart disease, including congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Kidney disease, such as kidney failure (renal failure)
- A history of high blood potassium (hyperkalemia) or have to use salt substitutes
- A personal or family history of angioedema, which is swelling beneath the skin
- Any allergies, including to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant (see Edarbi and Pregnancy)
- Breastfeeding (see Edarbi and Breastfeeding).