Hypertension Home > Clonidine
Clonidine is a prescription medicine approved for several uses. Some forms of this medication are used for treating high blood pressure, while the epidural form is used to treat severe pain in people with cancer. The drug works to lower blood pressure by stimulating alpha-2 receptors in the brain stem. When used to treat cancer pain, it works by blocking pain signals from reaching the brain.
- Clonidine immediate-release tablets (Catapres), approved for treating high blood pressure
- Clonidine patches (Catapres-TTS), approved for treating high blood pressure
- Clonidine extended-release tablets (Kapvay), approved to treat attention deficit disorder (ADHD)
- Clonidine extended-release tablets and liquid (Nexiclon XR), approved to treat high blood pressure
- Clonidine epidural infusion (Duraclon), approved for treating severe cancer pain.