Hypertension Home > Demadex Overdose
Although it is rare, it is possible to overdose on Demadex. If you take too much Demadex, overdose effects may include low electrolytes, dehydration, or low blood pressure. These effects may lead to symptoms such as dizziness, decreased urine output, or a loss of consciousness. Treatment options for a recent Demadex overdose may include administering certain medicines to increase blood pressure or pumping the stomach.
Demadex Overdose: An OverviewDemadex® (torsemide) is a medication used for controlling high blood pressure and treating water retention (edema). Even though it happens rarely, a person can overdose on Demadex just like any other medication. The effects of a Demadex overdose will vary depending on a number of factors, including how much Demadex was taken and whether it was taken with any other medicines, alcohol, and/or drugs.
If you happen to overdose on Demadex, seek medical attention immediately.
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- Low electrolytes (especially low potassium, chloride, and sodium).
This may cause signs or symptoms that include:
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- A decrease in urine output
- Drowsiness, headaches, or back pain
- A slow or irregular heartbeat
- Dry mouth
- Increased thirst
- Muscle pain or cramps
- Nausea or vomiting
- Loss of consciousness.
Treatment for a Demadex OverdoseThe treatment for a Demadex overdose will vary. If the Demadex overdose was recent, the healthcare provider may use certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." Treatment may also involve supportive care. This type of care consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Medications to increase blood pressure
- Electrolyte replacement
- Other treatments based on the complications that occur
- Close monitoring of the heart and lungs.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Demadex.