Hypertension Home > Precautions and Warnings With Isradipine CR
Before taking isradipine CR, warnings and precautions should be reviewed with your healthcare provider. Tell him or her about any existing medical conditions you have and all other medications you are currently taking. Other precautions and warnings with isradipine CR include the safety of taking the medicine if you have congestive heart failure or esophageal strictures and the risk of low blood pressure.
You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking isradipine CR (Dynacirc CR®) if you have:
- Congestive heart failure (CHF)
- An esophageal stricture or other narrowing of the digestive tract
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you are:
- Pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
Make sure to tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Warnings and precautions to be aware of prior to taking isradipine CR include the following:
- The medication should be used with caution in people with congestive heart failure (CHF). Calcium channel blockers (such as isradipine CR) can cause fluid retention (edema) and can decrease the heart's ability to pump blood, which can be especially dangerous in people with CHF.
- Isradipine CR can cause low blood pressure (hypotension). Be sure to tell your healthcare provider if you have any symptoms of low blood pressure, such as lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting.
- Isradipine CR tablets do not completely dissolve. You may notice the tablets in your stool; this is normal and does not change the effectiveness of the drug.
- Because isradipine CR tablets do not completely dissolve, they may cause problems in people with a narrowing of the digestive tract (such as esophageal strictures). The medication should be used with caution in people with these problems.
- Isradipine CR can interact with a number of medicines (see Drug Interactions With Isradipine CR).
- Isradipine CR is considered a pregnancy Category C medication. This means that it may not be safe to use during pregnancy. Talk to your healthcare provider about the risks and benefits of using the drug when pregnant (see Dynacirc CR and Pregnancy).
- It is not known if isradipine CR passes through breast milk. Therefore, if you are breastfeeding or plan to start, discuss this with your healthcare provider prior to using the drug (see Dynacirc CR and Breastfeeding).