Hypertension Home > Precautions and Warnings With Metoprolol Tartrate
There are several warnings and precautions with metoprolol tartrate to be aware of. For example, the drug may cause extreme low blood pressure and/or a slow heart rate. Also, metoprolol tartrate can potentially interact with a number of other medicines, so it is important to let your healthcare provider know about all of the drugs you're taking. People who should avoid this medication include those who have serious heart failure or certain types of irregular heart rhythms.
- Heart disease, including congestive heart failure, an irregular heart rhythm, or a history of a heart attack
- A slow heart rate
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Kidney disease
- Raynaud's phenomenon or other circulation problems
- A blood vessel disease
- Any allergies, including allergies to other beta blockers, foods, dyes, or preservatives.
- Are pregnant or trying to become pregnant (see Metoprolol and Pregnancy)
- Are breastfeeding (see Metoprolol and Breastfeeding)
- Will be undergoing surgery or anesthesia.