Hypertension Home > Warnings and Precautions With Olmesartan Medoxomil-Hydrochlorothiazide
Warnings and precautions with olmesartan medoxomil-hydrochlorothiazide include being aware of certain drug interactions, not taking the drug while pregnant, and knowing that the medication may increase cholesterol levels. Women who are nursing may be advised to either stop nursing or stop taking the drug. Additional warnings and precautions with olmesartan medoxomil-hydrochlorothiazide extend to serious medical conditions, such as congestive heart failure or kidney disease.
Olmesartan Medoxomil-Hydrochlorothiazide: What Should I Tell My Healthcare Provider?You should talk with your healthcare provider prior to taking olmesartan medoxomil-hydrochlorothiazide (Benicar HCT®) if you have:
- Heart disease, including congestive heart failure
- Liver disease, including cirrhosis
- Kidney disease or kidney failure
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (lupus or SLE for short)
- High cholesterol
- Fluid or electrolyte problems
- Any allergies, including allergies to other angiotensin II receptor blockers, sulfa drugs, foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Also, let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or trying to become pregnant
- Are on dialysis
- Drink alcohol regularly
- Are breastfeeding.
Tell your healthcare provider about all the medicines you are currently taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.