Hypertension Home > Procardia XL and Dry Mouth
Approximately 1 to 3 percent of people taking Procardia XL develop a dry mouth. If you are taking Procardia XL and dry mouth becomes a problem, you can try sipping water or sugarless drinks often, using a humidifier at night, and avoiding caffeine and alcohol. If these suggestions don't help, talk to your healthcare provider about other treatment options.
Procardia XL and Dry Mouth: An OverviewA dry mouth is one of the possible side effects of Procardia XL® (nifedipine). In studies, between 1 and 3 percent of people taking Procardia XL reported experiencing a dry mouth.
Procardia XL and Dry Mouth: RecommendationsFor people taking Procardia XL, there are some things that you can do to help with a dry mouth. Some of these suggestions include:
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks often.
- Sipping water or sugarless drinks during meals. This will make chewing and swallowing easier. It may also improve the taste of food.
- Avoiding drinks with caffeine, such as coffee, tea, and some sodas. Caffeine can dry out the mouth.
- Avoiding tobacco or alcohol; they dry out the mouth.
- Using a humidifier at night.
- Being aware of spicy or salty foods, as they may cause pain in a dry mouth.
- Chewing sugarless gum or sucking on sugarless, hard candy to stimulate saliva flow; cinnamon- or mint-flavored candies are good choices.