Hypertension Home > Propranolol/HCTZ Dosage
Your healthcare provider will take various factors into account when determining how much propranolol/HCTZ you should take, such as other medical conditions you have and if you are taking other medications. In general, the initial recommended dose of propranolol/HCTZ for treating high blood pressure is one tablet taken twice daily. This amount can be increased to a maximum of 160 mg/50 mg once daily.
An Introduction to Your Dosage of Propranolol/HCTZThe dose of propranolol/HCTZ (Inderide®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your blood pressure
- How you respond to the medication
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Propranolol/HCTZ Dosing for High Blood PressureThe usual propranolol/HCTZ dose for lowering blood pressure is one tablet taken twice a day. The actual dosage and strength of the tablets will vary for each person. If you have already been taking the individual components of propranolol/HCTZ as separate pills, your initial dose will likely be similar.
The maximum recommended dosage of propranolol/HCTZ is 160 mg/50 mg once daily. These tablets come in the following strengths:
- Propranolol/HCTZ 40 mg/25 mg, which contains 40 mg of propranolol and 25 mg of hydrochlorothiazide
- Propranolol/HCTZ 80 mg/25 mg, which contains 80 mg of propranolol and 25 mg of hydrochlorothiazide.
General Information on Taking Propranolol/HCTZSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with propranolol/HCTZ include the following:
- Propranolol/HCTZ comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once or twice daily.
- Try to take your dose of propranolol/HCTZ at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- Propranolol/HCTZ can be taken with or without food. Try taking it with food if it bothers your stomach.
- Hydrochlorothiazide (one of the medications in propranolol/HCTZ) increases urination. Therefore, you may want to take your last dose of the day no later than late in the afternoon to reduce the need to urinate during the night.
- For this medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your propranolol/HCTZ dosage, please talk with your healthcare provider or pharmacist.