Hypertension Home > Conditions That Propranolol Sustained-Release Treats
Uses for Propranolol Sustained-ReleaseSome uses of propranolol sustained-release include:
- Controlling high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Relieving symptoms of angina
- Preventing migraines
- Improving symptoms in people with hypertrophic subaortic stenosis, which is a condition in which the middle part of the heart thickens.
How Does This Medication Work?Propranolol sustained-release is part of a class of drugs called beta-adrenergic blocking agents, or beta blockers for short. As the name implies, beta blockers block beta receptors in the body. Beta receptors are located in a number of places within the body, including the heart and blood vessels. Stress hormones like adrenaline attach to these receptors and cause certain reactions in the body, such as an increase in:
- Heart rate
- The force with which the heart pumps blood
- Blood pressure (both systolic blood pressure and diastolic blood pressure).