Hypertension Home > Propranolol Sustained-Release Benefits and Dosing Guidelines
Effects of Propranolol Sustained-ReleaseBy lowering blood pressure, propranolol sustained-release can decrease the risks that accompany long-term high blood pressure (see Effects of High Blood Pressure). By reducing the heart's workload, it can also decrease symptoms of angina, including chest pain. Propranolol sustained-release can decrease the frequency of migraines as well, although the way in which it does this is not clear.
When and How Do I Take This Drug?Some general considerations for when and how to take propranolol sustained-release include the following:
- Propranolol sustained-release comes in capsule form and is taken once a day.
- This medication may be taken with or without food.
- Do not break, chew, or crush the capsules.
- Your dosage should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For propranolol sustained-release to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. The drug will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dose of propranolol sustained-release your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you have
- Other medications you are currently taking
- How you respond to propranolol sustained-release.