Hypertension Home > Using RESPeRATE and Understanding Its Effects
- The goal is to achieve at least 45 minutes of breathing in the target range (less than 10 breaths per minute) each week. RESPeRATE keeps track of this for you.
- First, you place an elastic belt with a breathing sensor around your chest or abdomen.
- RESPeRATE then analyzes your breathing and creates a melody with a specific pattern to guide your breathing.
- Each session lasts for 15 minutes total (unless you change the setting to make the sessions longer or shorter).
- To end each session, RESPeRATE gradually decreases the volume until the melody is stopped. This provides a relaxing end to the session.
- It is important to sit down and simply relax. Trying too hard can interfere with the effectiveness of RESPeRATE.
- Although the beneficial effects of RESPeRATE are sustained (they last all day long), they are not permanent. You must continue to use the device on a regular basis in order to maintain the beneficial effects.