Hypertension Home > Understanding Effects of Spironolactone and How to Take It
- Spironolactone comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once or twice a day. In some cases, it may be taken every other day.
- You can take the medication with or without food.
- Spironolactone should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood. However, some people do not need to take it every day, especially those who are taking it for fluid retention.
- Because spironolactone increases urination, it is best to take it the morning to avoid needing to get up to use the bathroom throughout the night. If you take the medication twice a day, try to take the last dose before 6 p.m., unless your healthcare provider instructs you otherwise.
- For spironolactone to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.