Hypertension Home > Trandate Dosage
For those who are beginning treatment with Trandate, dosage recommendations typically start at 100 mg twice a day. Depending on whether your blood pressure goals are reached or if side effects occur, your healthcare provider may adjust your dose accordingly. The usual recommended amount for maintaining your blood pressure level is between 200 mg and 400 mg twice daily.
The dose of Trandate® (labetalol hydrochloride) your healthcare provider prescribes will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other drugs you may be taking
- How you respond to Trandate.
As is always the case, do not adjust this amount unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting dose of Trandate for most people with high blood pressure (hypertension) is 100 mg twice a day. After a couple of days, based on the blood pressure response and/or Trandate side effects, your healthcare provider may increase or decrease the amount. He or she may also add a diuretic (a "water pill") or another blood pressure medication if your condition is not controlled by Trandate alone.
The usual maintenance Trandate dosage is between 200 mg and 400 mg twice a day. In some cases, your healthcare provider may recommend taking this medication three times a day.
Some considerations for people taking Trandate include the following:
- Take your Trandate dosage by mouth with a glass of water.
- You may take this medication with or without food.
- Take Trandate at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For this medicine to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Trandate will not work if you take it in a way other than how your healthcare provider has prescribed.
- You may notice an increase in lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting when you first start taking Trandate or when your healthcare provider changes your dose. This usually improves after a couple of hours. Make sure to avoid driving or other activities that require mental concentration during this time.
- If you do not take your Trandate as scheduled, take your missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for the next dose, skip the one you missed and continue with your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose.
- Do not stop Trandate without first discussing it with your healthcare provider. Stopping treatment abruptly increases the risk of serious side effects (see Trandate Precautions and Warnings).
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Trandate, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Also, as explained, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.