Hypertension Home > Zaroxolyn Dosage
The recommended starting Zaroxolyn dosage will depend on the condition being treated, among other things. Your healthcare provider may increase your dose to better control your blood pressure or may decrease it if you develop bothersome side effects. When treating fluid retention, for example, the recommended Zaroxolyn dose is 5 mg to 20 mg, taken once daily.
Zaroxolyn Dosage: An OverviewThe dose of Zaroxolyn® (metolazone) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking
- How you respond to Zaroxolyn.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Zaroxolyn Dosage for High Blood PressureThe recommended dose of Zaroxolyn for treating high blood pressure is Zaroxolyn 2.5 mg to 5 mg once daily. Based on the initial blood pressure response and/or the Zaroxolyn side effects, your healthcare provider may increase or decrease your dose. With each change in dosage, it may take several weeks to see the full effects that Zaroxolyn will have on lowering blood pressure.
Zaroxolyn Dosage for Water RetentionThe recommended dose of Zaroxolyn for treating water retention due to congestive heart failure (CHF) or kidney problems is Zaroxolyn 5 mg to 20 mg once daily. Some people may not need to take the medication every day to treat water retention, however.
General Information on Dosing With ZaroxolynConsiderations for people taking Zaroxolyn include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take Zaroxolyn with or without food.
- The medication should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood. However, some people do not need to take Zaroxolyn every day, especially people taking it for fluid retention.
- Because Zaroxolyn increases urination, it is best to take it in the morning (to avoid having to get up to use the bathroom throughout the night), unless your healthcare provider instructs you otherwise.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Zaroxolyn will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Zaroxolyn dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.