Hypertension Channel
Related Channels


Microzide is commonly prescribed for the treatment of high blood pressure and water retention. The medicine is a diuretic and works by increasing the amount of salt and water removed from the blood and decreasing blood volume. It comes in tablet or caplet form, and is typically taken once a day. Potential side effects include electrolyte imbalances, dizziness, upset stomach, or vomiting.

What Is Microzide?

Microzide® (hydrochlorothiazide) is a prescription medicine that is used as a diuretic for high blood pressure and fluid retention. It is part of a class of medicines known as diuretics.
Microzide is sold under a number of other brand names, including Esidrix®, HydroDIURIL®, and Oretic®. It is also available as a generic medicine. Microzide is sometimes referred to as just HCTZ or HCT.
Microzide has not been approved for use in children.

Side Effects

As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Microzide. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. If side effects do occur, they are often minor, meaning that they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
The most common side effects of Microzide seen in people with high blood pressure include:
  • Low blood potassium levels (hypokalemia) or other electrolyte imbalances
  • Dizziness
  • Upset stomach (nausea) or vomiting.
(Click Side Effects of Hydrochlorothiazide to learn more, including potentially serious side effects to look out for.)
You can also read about other possible side effects by going to the following eMedTV articles:
Life After a Stent: 5 Realistic Ways to Take Charge of Your Health

HCTZ Diuretic

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.