Nifediac CC is a prescription drug that is used to help control high blood pressure. By slowing down the rate at which calcium moves into the heart and blood vessels, the medication relaxes the blood vessels to improve blood flow. The medicine comes in the form of an extended-release tablet that is generally taken once a day. Potential side effects can include swelling, headaches, and dizziness.
What Is Nifediac?Nifediac CC® (nifedipine) is a prescription medication used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension). Nifediac CC tablets are extended release, which means that they slowly release the medication evenly over time.
(Click Nifediac Uses for more information on what the medication is used for, including possible off-label uses.)
Who Makes It?Nifediac CC is made by Teva Pharmaceuticals.
How Does Nifediac Work?Nifediac CC is part of a class of drugs called calcium channel blockers. The medicine helps to slow down the rate at which calcium moves into the heart and into the walls of the blood vessels. This, in turn, helps to relax the blood vessels, which allows better blood flow and makes it easier for the heart to pump blood.
There are two basic types of calcium channel blockers, dihydropyridine and non-dihydropyridine. The most important difference between the two types is that non-dihydropyridine calcium channel blockers can slow down the heart rate, while dihydropyridine calcium channel blockers do not. Nifediac CC is a dihydropyridine calcium channel blocker, which means that it does not usually decrease the heart rate.
When and How to Do I Take It?Some general considerations for when and how to take Nifediac CC include:
- The medication comes in tablet form and is taken by mouth, usually once a day.
- It should be taken on an empty stomach.
- Because the tablets are extended release, they should not be broken, crushed, or chewed. Be sure to swallow the tablets whole.
- It should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the drug in your blood.
- For the medicine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.