The recommended starting dose of olmesartan is 20 mg a day. However, your healthcare provider may increase or decrease your olmesartan dosing based on how well you respond to the drug or if side effects occur. Olmesartan comes in tablet form and must be taken as prescribed for optimum results. Do not stop taking or change your olmesartan dosing without first consulting your healthcare provider.
Olmesartan Dosing: An IntroductionThe dose of olmesartan medoxomil (Benicar®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking
- How you respond to olmesartan.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Olmesartan Dosing for High Blood PressureThe recommended starting dosage of olmesartan for most adults with high blood pressure (hypertension) is 20 mg once a day. Based on the blood pressure response and/or side effects of olmesartan, the dosage may be increased or decreased. With each change in dosage, it may take several weeks to see the full effects on blood pressure.
Olmesartan is also approved for use in children age six and older. For children who weigh 44 to 77 pounds, the recommended starting dose is 10 mg once daily. For children who weigh 77 pounds or more, the starting dose of olmesartan is 20 mg once daily. If your child is unable to swallow tablets, your pharmacist may be able to make a liquid form for your child.
- Your olmesartan dosage should be taken by mouth with a glass of water.
- Olmesartan may be taken with or without food.
- Make sure to take olmesartan at the same time each day to maintain even levels of the medicine in your blood.
- For olmesartan to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Olmesartan will not work if you take it in a different way than your healthcare provider has recommended.
- If you do not take your olmesartan as scheduled, take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next scheduled dose, skip the missed one and continue with normal dosing. Do not take a double dose.
- If you are unsure about anything related to olmesartan or your olmesartan dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking olmesartan without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.