Instructions for Taking Olmesartan and Possible Side Effects
When and How Do I Take It?Some general considerations for when and how to take olmesartan include the following:
- The drug comes in tablet form. It is taken once a day.
- Olmesartan may be taken with or without food.
- Your dose should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level of the medicine in your blood.
- For olmesartan to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
Dosing InformationThe dose of olmesartan your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be taking
- How you respond to olmesartan.
As with any medication, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Olmesartan Dosing for more information about dosing guidelines.)
Are There Side Effects?As with any medicine, side effects are possible with olmesartan. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, they are often minor and either require no treatment or can be treated easily by you or your healthcare provider. Serious reactions are less common.
During clinical trials, the most common side effect observed was dizziness. No other problems occurred in more than 1 percent of people taking the drug.
(Click Side Effects of Olmesartan to learn more, including potentially serious side effects you should report to your healthcare provider.)
You can also read about other possible side effects in the following eMedTV articles: