Using RESPeRATE and Understanding Its Effects
At the beginning of each session, RESPeRATE measures and analyzes your unique breathing pattern and creates two different musical tones that will guide you in paced breathing. One tone is for inhaling and the other is for exhaling. Just by listening to the melody (without effort), you will naturally follow the melody with your breathing. RESPeRATE continues to measure and analyze your breathing, adjusting as necessary and slowly guiding you to a target of less than 10 breaths per minute with a particularly long exhalation. This is known as paced breathing.
By encouraging you to practice paced breathing effortlessly, RESPeRATE causes the smooth muscles around your blood vessels to relax. This allows blood to flow more easily, reducing blood pressure. Even though your breathing returns to normal after your 15 minute RESPeRATE session, the beneficial effects on blood pressure last throughout the day. The beneficial effects accumulate when you use RESPeRATE, and you should see a significant drop in blood pressure within three or four weeks.
Some information on when and how to use it include the following:
- The goal is to achieve at least 45 minutes of breathing in the target range (less than 10 breaths per minute) each week. RESPeRATE keeps track of this for you.
- First, you place an elastic belt with a breathing sensor around your chest or abdomen.
- RESPeRATE then analyzes your breathing and creates a melody with a specific pattern to guide your breathing.
- Each session lasts for 15 minutes total (unless you change the setting to make the sessions longer or shorter).
- To end each session, RESPeRATE gradually decreases the volume until the melody is stopped. This provides a relaxing end to the session.
- It is important to sit down and simply relax. Trying too hard can interfere with the effectiveness of RESPeRATE.
- Although the beneficial effects of RESPeRATE are sustained (they last all day long), they are not permanent. You must continue to use the device on a regular basis in order to maintain the beneficial effects.