For the treatment of high blood pressure, most people take between 50/50 mg to 100/100 mg daily of spironolactone-HCTZ. Dosing for the treatment of water retention ranges from 25/25 to 200/200 mg daily. Your spironolactone-HCTZ dosage can either be taken all at once or split up into two smaller doses per day; however, it's best to take the drug at the same time(s) each day.
The dose of spironolactone-HCTZ (Aldactazide®) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking
- How you respond to spironolactone-HCTZ.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Spironolactone-HCTZ Dosing for High Blood PressureThe recommended dose of spironolactone-HCTZ for high blood pressure (hypertension) ranges from spironolactone-HCTZ 50/50 mg to spironolactone-HCTZ 100/100 mg daily. This can be taken all at once or split up into two smaller doses per day.
Spironolactone-HCTZ Dosing for Water RetentionSpironolactone-HCTZ is also used to treat water retention (edema) caused by congestive heart failure (CHF) or cirrhosis of the liver. The recommended dose of spironolactone-HCTZ for water retention ranges from spironolactone-HCTZ 25/25 mg to spironolactone-HCTZ 200/200 mg daily. This can be taken all at once or split up into two smaller doses per day.
Considerations for people taking spironolactone-HCTZ include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is usually taken by mouth once or twice a day.
- You can take spironolactone-HCTZ with or without food.
- Spironolactone-HCTZ should be taken at the same time(s) each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- Because spironolactone-HCTZ increases urination, it is best to take it in the morning (to avoid needing to get up to use the bathroom throughout the night). If you take the medication twice daily, try to take your last dose of the day before 6 p.m., unless your healthcare provider instructs you otherwise.
- For spironolactone-HCTZ to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to spironolactone-HCTZ or spironolactone-HCTZ dosing, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.