Tekturna HCT Uses
Tekturna HCT is used for high blood pressure treatment in adults. Because the drug combines two medications, it lowers blood pressure in two ways. The aliskiren component prevents certain enzymes from narrowing the blood vessels, and the hydrochlorothiazide component reduces blood volume. The drug has not been approved for use in children, and, at this time, there are no universally accepted off-label Tekturna HCT uses.
Tekturna HCT Uses: An OverviewTekturna HCT® (aliskiren-HCTZ) is a prescription medication approved for the treatment of high blood pressure (hypertension). It contains two different medications: hydrochlorothiazide (often abbreviated as HCT or HCTZ) and aliskiren (Tekturna®). People who may benefit from this drug include:
- People who are not taking any blood pressure medications but who will likely need two medications to adequately treat their blood pressure.
- People whose blood pressure is not adequately controlled by taking either aliskiren or hydrochlorothiazide alone.
- People whose blood pressure is adequately controlled by only using hydrochlorothiazide but who are experiencing problems with low blood potassium. Aliskiren can help counteract this side effect of hydrochlorothiazide.
- People who are taking aliskiren or hydrochlorothiazide and who are experiencing problematic side effects related to the dose of the medications. Using the medications together may allow for a dose reduction in one or both of the medications.
- People who are taking both aliskiren and hydrochlorothiazide and who want to switch to Tekturna HCT, which may be cheaper than taking both drugs.
A blood pressure reading consists of two numbers -- for example, 120/80 (read as "120 over 80"). The top number is the systolic blood pressure, and the bottom number is the diastolic blood pressure. High blood pressure is defined as an average blood pressure higher than 140/90, with multiple blood pressure readings (although many healthcare providers consider anything above 120/80 too high). A single blood pressure reading may point to a potential problem, but it is not enough to diagnose high blood pressure.
Based on clinical studies, Tekturna HCT has been shown to significantly lower systolic and diastolic blood pressure. As a result, the drug may decrease the risk of developing health problems that can occur with long-term high blood pressure, such as stroke, heart disease, or congestive heart failure(see Effects of High Blood Pressure). Tekturna HCT is not a cure for high blood pressure, and the condition will almost certainly return once you stop taking the drug.