Important Information About Telmisartan
People taking telmisartan should keep the following considerations in mind:
- The medication comes in tablet form and is taken once a day.
- Telmisartan may be taken with or without food.
- Telmisartan should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For telmisartan to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.
The dose of telmisartan your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking
- How you respond to telmisartan.
As with any medication, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Telmisartan Dosing for more information.)
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with telmisartan. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it well. If side effects do occur, they are often minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Serious side effects are less common.
The most common side effects include:
- Upper respiratory infection, such as the common cold or flu
- Back pain
- Inflammation of the sinuses (sinusitis).
(Click Side Effects of Telmisartan to learn more, including potentially serious side effects to look out for.)
You can also read about other possible side effects in the following eMedTV articles: